Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Part 2: Shark Ice Cream Cake

So this is the cake I made for my sister's birthday this year! It is my version of the Cold Stone Creamery Bites Cake. Although it is best not to make the cake in 85 degree weather because it is an ice cream cake, I think it came out pretty decent despite the weather conditions. Probably took me about 3-4 hours to make the cake and that includes a few freezer times. Oh my goodness I would start to frost the cake and it would start to melt! But the outcome was worth it because she loved it! I would recommend freezing the cake several hours so it can set up before serving. Mine set up for only 1 1/2 - 2 hours before serving and it was a little melty.

On the Cold Stone website, the description for the shark cake stated that graham cracker crumbs were used for the sand effect. Silly me forgot to pick up the graham cracker crumbs on the way to the location of the party to make the cake whoops! So I used what I had on hand. Ground peanuts.

It kind of gives it like this peanut buttery taste. Yumm! It's a fun little cake to make!

Shark Ice Cream Cake
makes an 8 or 9 in. layer cake
Serves about 8-10 people

1 box marble cake mix, plus ingredients to make
(can use chocolate or just vanilla as well!)
2 1/2 tubs of vanilla frosting
(may have a little left over)
1 pkg of blue gummy sharks
(I found them at 7-eleven)
about 5 cups of cookies n' cream ice cream, softened
about 1 cup of ground peanuts
blue food coloring

Prepare the marble cake according to package directions for 2 round cake pans. Meanwhile in another cake pan the same size as the cake, cover the inside of the pan with plastic wrap and let it hang off the sides a little bit. Lay the ice cream into the cake pan and spread it around into an even layer. Put into the freezer for at least an hour, preferably a couple. Allow the cakes to cool completely. dump all of the frosting, except for about 3/4 cup, into a bowl. Squeeze several drops of blue food coloring into the frosting in the bowl to turn it blue. Put a thin layer of blue frosting on top of the bottom layer. Top with the chilled ice cream.(From this point on, it has to be made quick, or it will need to take several trips back to the freezer to refreeze) Just pull the ice cream out using the plastic wrap sides. Top with 2nd cake layer and frost the entire cake with the blue frosting, remember it doesn't have to be perfect. It is water! So for the next step, I put the remaining frosting
in a pastry bag with a small star tip. I pipe little rosettes or white caps for the sharks to perch on. Finally, garnish the bottom sides of the cake with the ground peanuts or graham cracker crumbs and top the white caps with the sharks. Now hurry up and throw it in the freezer before your masterpiece melts!

Patience is totally worth it here. Although I clearly don't have patience taking pictures of this cute cake!

There we go! I think this is the only time I would not be intimidated by great whites. They are actually really good eaten with cake and ice cream! 

Um well... the gummy sharks that is!



No comments :

Post a Comment