Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Part 1: Reeses Cake

I am the family baker, and I don't mind that title one bit! I enjoy making the birthday cakes, anniversary cakes, just because cakes. Don't even get me started on the cookies, brownies, trifles... the list goes on. But like I said, I love it! So my sister and I are very much alike in the food department. We love sweets! And we are not afraid of trying something new. With that said, I ask her every year what kind of cake she wants for her birthday because it is never traditional.

Last year's cake was something I wanted to try and of course she didn't hesitate to say yes because, like me, she can't say no to Reeses, peanut butter, and chocolate.

The first bite, I was in love. I'm usually not one for chocolate cake, but the peanut butter just brings it to a whole new level. The combination of the two is just out of this world. Of course you have the additional chocolate ganache layer on top. Yummyyyy! And very rich! The average person might take a small slice of this sweet concoction, but we are anything but average so a good chunk was gone between the 5 of us!
I introduce to you, Reeses cake!

Reeses Cake
Makes a 2 layer 8 or 9 inch cake

1 box Devils Food cake mix, plus ingredients to make
(or you can use your favorite chocolate cake from scratch!)
10 snack size Reeses cups, quartered
3 tubs of vanilla frosting
(you may have left over, but it's better to be safe then sorry!)
3/4 C. Peanut butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
Chocolate Ganache, recipe follows

Prepare the chocolate cake according to package directions for round cake pans. Cool completely. I put mine in the freezer to stiffen up a bit. Meanwhile, mix the tubs of the frosting with the peanut butter, add in the vanilla. (I may have overloaded the cake with frosting, but we liked it that way. If you prefer less frosting, you may have leftovers!) When the cake is cool, spread some frosting between the cake layers and spread more frosting on top and down the sides. If the frosting becomes too stiff, water it down or add a little milk. Top with ganache, forcing it to go down the sides a little bit using the back of a spoon. Top with Reeses cups! I left one whole one for a little decoration.

Chocolate Ganache

8 oz. semi sweet chocolate
1 C. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temp.

Put chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Pour heavy cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour over chocolate and let stand for about 5 minutes, until chocolate has softened. Add butter and stir until smooth. Cool slightly, don't want to melt the frosting!

It gets a little messy, but it's all worth it!!

Part 2 is the shark cake, which I am making in a couple of days so stay tuned!




No comments :

Post a Comment