Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Whoopie Pies

It has been a very sluggish day! It is beautiful outside, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, not a cloud in the sky. And I don't feel like doing ANYTHING! Well it's also my day off from work, so I guess I feel like I don't have to be in a rush to do anything. Ah yes, there's the reason! What I really wanted to do was make these pies of deliciousness. Who doesn't love a yummy whoopie pie every now and then? Sweet frosting sandwiched between soft chocolatey shells. Oh yes. I don't make them very often, but when I do, they don't last long. Even with just the two of us here! 

I found this recipe over at King Arthur Flour and it made pretty good pies! I did make some changes, using ingredients I had on hand. I use to make pumpkin chocolate chip whoopie pies all the time as well, using a recipe I learned in Culinary school. There are SO MANY different flavor combination to use for these pies. The possibilities seem endless. Get creative! What are your favorites?

I also didn't make the filling recipe on the website because I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, but I did have canned frosting so I improvised.  There are some comments on the bottom of the website page making references to the frosting that you may want to take a look at.

Whoopie Pies
Makes 7 or 8 large pies

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • (I used 1/2 brown sugar 1/2 regular sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional(I left out)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa(I used regular cocoa)
  • 2 1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup milk

filling

  • 1 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups Marshmallow Fluff 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Lightly grease cookie sheets. Beat first 8 ingredients in a large bowl until combined(this includes the espresso too). Add in egg and beat until smooth. Stir in cocoa. Alternately stir in flour and milk until all is added. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the greased cookie sheets. Bake for about 15-17 minutes. They will be firm to the touch. Let cool for a couple of minutes then remove from the pans to parchment paper to completely cool.

Frosting instructions here.


MmMmmmMmmmmmm!
Let's get a little closer shall we.
Yes. That's the stuff. Perfect for those Summer gatherings!



No comments :

Post a Comment