Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Skillet Lasagna

So it's currently 90 degrees over here on the East coast with 70% humidity and I have been craving comfort food like my life depends on it! Turning on the oven in this heat doesn't really appeal to me, but I really NEED lasagna in my life. I found a recipe over at Comfortable Food that I got really excited about! Layers of ground turkey mixed with onions and garlic, lasagna noodles, and sauce. The ricotta topping completes this tantalizing dish. This makes BIG portions as well! I'm sure the leftovers are just as good, if not better as all of the ingredients and spices chill and become more intense.


Skillet Lasagna
Makes 4 big servings

1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 large egg
salt and pepper, sprinkle generously
1 tbsp olive oil (I used cooking spray)
1 small onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground beef (I used lean ground turkey)
2 Tbsp italian mixed herbs(I just used oregano and parsley)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 cup water
1 15 oz jar italian pasta sauce
10 - 12 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
(I used oven ready noodles)
*This dish can be placed in the oven during the last 10-15 minutes to bake the ricotta mixture. I just used a large skillet on the stove top and covered the pan.* Refer to original recipe for the oven version.

Mix together the ricotta, Parmesan and egg. Add salt and pepper and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the oil cooking spray over medium low heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Increase the heat to medium high, add the ground beef turkey. Stir and cook until no longer pink.  Stir in the Italian herbs parsley and oregano, add more salt and pepper, and cook out all of the liquid. If not using lean meat, you may need to drain the pan of excess juices. Stir in the tomatoes, water, and pasta sauce, then add in pasta pieces(stir them around in the sauce and cover as much as possible), bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the noodles are soft. Dollop the ricotta mixture over the top of the pasta mixture, cover skillet and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from stove stop and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

HUGE!
Don't worry, the scraps left in the side of the pan were taken care of immediately after taking the picture. ;)


Please excuse me while I go stuff my face.
Enjoy folks!



No comments :

Post a Comment